Located just seven hours on a direct flight from the UK and most European major airports, Oman is one of our favourite destinations this winter. Located on the south-eastern corner of the Arabian Peninsula, Oman was, until recently, something of an enigma. However, this amazing country has been gaining popularity as a luxury adventure travel destination due to its excellent standard of accommodation, hospitable people, fantastic weather, safe infrastructure and of course, its spectacular scuba diving.
If you are thinking of diving Oman, here are our top 10 recommended hotels:
- The Kempinski Luxury Resort – This modern luxury hotel boasts a fantastic location on a marina in the heart of Muscat. One of the country’s best dive centres is located close by with easy access to the Daymaniyat Islands where sightings of whale sharks are virtually guaranteed.
- The Chedi – Also in Muscat, this luxury spa retreat is the ideal spot for couples or anyone who wants a quiet luxurious getaway.
- Alila Jabal Akhdar – Set in the Al Hajar Mountains, this stunning mountain top retreat is a must-see, whether you want to spend your days trekking or simply relaxing at the spa. We always suggest adding two or three days here to any Oman trip.
- Millennium Resort Mussanah – If you want to dive the Daymaniyat Islands but don’t have the budget for the expensive Muscat accommodation options, then the Millennium Resort in Mussanah is a good alternative. It is located 45 minutes north of Muscat and also has a great dive centre on-site.
- Muscat Hills – This small boutique property is set in a stunning location around a 40minute drive from the airport. It offers a fantastic Ibiza style beach club vibe and is the only one of its kind in Oman.
- Canvas Club – This luxury desert experience is the best of its kind in Oman. Offering a beautiful tented camp in the Omani desert, this unique experience is a great add on to your diving holiday.
- Oman Aggressor – Staying onboard a diving liveaboard in Oman gives you the opportunity to discover the various dive sites along the varied coastline. As diving conditions in Oman can change very quickly, staying on a liveaboard means you are more likely to be in the right dive site and the best time.
- Al Baleed Salalah – Salalah is the starting point for many of the country’s dive liveaboards and a stay at the Al Baleed Salalah makes for the perfect land-based and liveaboard combination. This 5 star luxury resort is located on a private beach with a range of accommodation options, including villas with their own private pool, and a variety of facilities and dining venues on-site.
- Six Senses Zighy Bay – Located on a private sandy beach in a more remote area of Oman. The scenery surrounding this spa resort is absolutely breathtaking with the underwater world mimicking the dramatic fjord-like cliffs above.
- Atana Musandam – This great hotel is located only a four-hour drive from Dubai, making it very accessible. It offers nice diving and an interesting experience with dolphins and dhow trips and trekking in the surrounding area.